This year Homelessness Action Week (HAW) in New Westminster runs from Saturday, October 12 to Friday, October 18 and our planning committee has been busy!
Here is what we are planning:
- October 12: Family-Friendly Homelessness Awareness Walk in Uptown.
- October 14: Thanksgiving Lunch at Union Gospel Mission, 658 Clarkson St.
- October 15: Community Breakfast (8-9 am) and CONNECT Day (9 – Noon) at Holy Trinity Cathedral, 514 Carnarvon St.
- October 16: World Food Day Community Food Security Panel Discussion at the River Market in partnership with the New Westminster Museum and Archives and their “You are What You Eat” Exhibit.
- October 17: Annual NW Homelessness Coalition Society Fundraiser at the Columbia Theatre.
- October 18: An evening event still being confirmed.
But, it is not too late for community members to get involved!
Are you a Knitter? Consider becoming part of our Legacy Scarf Knitting Project that will culminate in a family-friendly Homelessness Awareness Walk where knitted items will be placed in the community for those in need. Want more info? Contact Courtney.
Want to donate to HAW activities? We are looking for:
- Wool for our Legacy Scarf Project
- NEW women’s and men’s socks and underwear that can be given out at the Thanksgiving Lunch or at CONNECT Day.
- Warm clothes in good condition for CONNECT Day.
- Organizations/businesses to provide silent auction items and gift cards for the Coalition’s annual fundraiser.
- Sponsors for entertainment on CONNECT Day and at the Fundraiser.
- Sponsors for refreshments at our family-friendly walk and at our Friday evening event.
Want to donate or need more information, please contact Betina.
Date: Thursday October 11th, 2018
Location: Columbia Theatre
530 Columbia Street, New Westminster
The theme of this year’s Homelessness Action Week is “in an ideal world, you are my neighbour.“ Please join friends and acquaintances for an evening to contemplate this idea. There will be live music, guest speakers, a 50-50 draw and the ever-popular silent auction. Tickets are $75 or $650 for a table of 10.
For more information email us at email@example.com, call 778-847-4468, or check out our page at Eventbrite. See you there!
Our first Connect Day of the year
Tuesday February 13 from 9:00 am to 12 noon.
Union Gospel Mission, 658 Clarkson Street
and Lookout Housing, 750 Carnarvon Street.
Hot soup and some of our community services
We are having our first Connect Day of 2018 at both UGM and Lookout in New Westminster. Enjoy hot soup and some of our community services at either or both locations. Hope to see you there!
Please join us at the following events in October:
Homelessness Action Week Connect Day
8-11:30 AM on Tuesday October 10
Breakfast at 8 AM
This is a great opportunity to obtain information about help and resources that are available to you.
Tenth Annual NWHCS Fundraiser
Thursday October 12, 2017
This year’s theme:
LIVING TOGETHER: A SENSE OF COMMUNITY
Click here for more information, or:
Contact Martha Kerr at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 778-847-4468
Since 2002, the Greater Vancouver Regional Steering Committee on Homelessness (RSCH) has conducted a region-wide count of homeless individuals every three years. The most recent count was in 2014. The main purpose of the homeless count is to enumerate and learn more about the homeless population in the Metro Vancouver region.
The next count will take place March 7-8 in 2017. The NWHCS is acting as a liason with the New Westminster coordinator to ensure that an accurate count takes place, and will be recruiting volunteers for the count. The NWHCS is also planning a special Connect Day at the Russell Centre on March 8.
Please contact us for more information on the Connect Day, or if you would like to participate in the 2017 count, by emailing email@example.com
And, as a reminder, we are having our next board meeting on Tuesday January 10 at 11:30 am at the Russell Centre. The next general meeting will be held Monday February 27 at 9:30 am, also at the Russell Centre. Please check the left sidebar for any changes or updates.