Every October, the week after Thanksgiving, communities around the province raise awareness around homelessness by hosting a variety of events in their communities.
HAW2019 in New Westminster featured:
- A Homelessness Awareness Walk in partnership with the Community Action Team responding to the opiate crisis. Community members walked from the Uptown Salvation Army to Moody Park where an art installation that included a knitted purple heart and scarves had been placed. At the Walk, the Mayor also proclaimed the week Homelessness Awareness Week in New Westminster and October 16th, World Food Day in New Westminster. Organizers were even interviewed by the CBC!
- The Annual Thanksgiving Lunch at Union Gospel Mission.
- Service Provider CONNECT Day at Holy Trinity Cathedral.
- World Food Day Panel Discussion at the River Market in partnership with the CNW Museum and Archives.
- the Annual NWHCS Fundraiser.
- a screening of the award-winning Us & Them at Holy Trinity Cathedral, which was followed by a community round table discussion.
HAW2020 has not been finalized as of yet. In the face of COVID-19 most of our normal events are not possible, But, stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.
For more information on HAW please visit The Council of Community Homelessness Tables.