This year Homelessness Action Week (HAW) in New Westminster runs from Saturday, October 12 to Friday, October 18 and our planning committee has been busy!
Here is what we are planning:
- October 12: Family-Friendly Homelessness Awareness Walk in Uptown.
- October 14: Thanksgiving Lunch at Union Gospel Mission, 658 Clarkson St.
- October 15: Community Breakfast (8-9 am) and CONNECT Day (9 – Noon) at Holy Trinity Cathedral, 514 Carnarvon St.
- October 16: World Food Day Community Food Security Panel Discussion at the River Market in partnership with the New Westminster Museum and Archives and their “You are What You Eat” Exhibit.
- October 17: Annual NW Homelessness Coalition Society Fundraiser at the Columbia Theatre.
- October 18: An evening event still being confirmed.
But, it is not too late for community members to get involved!
Are you a Knitter? Consider becoming part of our Legacy Scarf Knitting Project that will culminate in a family-friendly Homelessness Awareness Walk where knitted items will be placed in the community for those in need. Want more info? Contact Courtney.
Want to donate to HAW activities? We are looking for:
- Wool for our Legacy Scarf Project
- NEW women’s and men’s socks and underwear that can be given out at the Thanksgiving Lunch or at CONNECT Day.
- Warm clothes in good condition for CONNECT Day.
- Organizations/businesses to provide silent auction items and gift cards for the Coalition’s annual fundraiser.
- Sponsors for entertainment on CONNECT Day and at the Fundraiser.
- Sponsors for refreshments at our family-friendly walk and at our Friday evening event.
Want to donate or need more information, please contact Betina.