We launched the week on Saturday with a HAW proclamation at the homelessness Awareness Community Walk which also included a Yarn bombing in Moody Park and large quantities of warm knitted items collected in the community.
Them the UGM did their famous thanksgiving community lunch; not once but twice on Thanksgiving Monday!
Today, October 15th, we saw over 60 people enjoy a Community Breakfast served by the parishioners of Holy Trinity Cathedral, community volunteers, local politicians, NW Police and local students. Then at CONNECT Day, 19 local service providers came together under one roof to provide information, food, and services to those in attendance! We saw:
- Public Health Nurses provide 43 flu shots
- BC Nurses Union and BCIT Nursing student check the blood pressure of 23 people
- 7 people have their income tax prepared – one person filing 10 years’ worth of claims!
- 4 people have their hearing tested
- Stress being relieved through massage
- Many people receive information about local services
- Lots of pie, pastries, and coffee eaten thanks to the Union Gospel Mission!
All the while we networked, chatted and were entertained by local musician Pernell Reicher!
The week is only half over and we still have:
- World Food Panel Discussion to recognize World Food Day at the River Market on Wednesday, October 16 at 7 pm.
- Transforming the Community to Inspire Change, the Coalitions annual fundraiser at the Columbia Theatre. Tickets are $75 and available through Eventbrite.
- A film screening of US & THEM at Holy Trinity Cathedral at 7 pm on Friday, October 18th. Doors open at 6 pm with free refreshments being served. FREE tickets available on Eventbrite.