Tickets will be available on Eventbrite until noon (Transforming the Community to Inspire Action) and some tickets will be available to purchase at the door. Doors open at 5:30 for appetizers and mingling; Program starts at 6:30.
It is going to be a great night of music, food, and inspiration!
Not to mention you can support the Coalition by taking part in the 50/50 draw, silent auction, and <$25 table!
We launched the week on Saturday with a HAW proclamation at the homelessness Awareness Community Walk which also included a Yarn bombing in Moody Park and large quantities of warm knitted items collected in the community.
Them the UGM did their famous thanksgiving community lunch; not once but twice on Thanksgiving Monday!
Today, October 15th, we saw over 60 people enjoy a Community Breakfast served by the parishioners of Holy Trinity Cathedral, community volunteers, local politicians, NW Police and local students. Then at CONNECT Day, 19 local service providers came together under one roof to provide information, food, and services to those in attendance! We saw:
- Public Health Nurses provide 43 flu shots
- BC Nurses Union and BCIT Nursing student check the blood pressure of 23 people
- 7 people have their income tax prepared – one person filing 10 years’ worth of claims!
- 4 people have their hearing tested
- Stress being relieved through massage
- Many people receive information about local services
- Lots of pie, pastries, and coffee eaten thanks to the Union Gospel Mission!
All the while we networked, chatted and were entertained by local musician Pernell Reicher!
The week is only half over and we still have:
- World Food Panel Discussion to recognize World Food Day at the River Market on Wednesday, October 16 at 7 pm.
- Transforming the Community to Inspire Change, the Coalitions annual fundraiser at the Columbia Theatre. Tickets are $75 and available through Eventbrite.
- A film screening of US & THEM at Holy Trinity Cathedral at 7 pm on Friday, October 18th. Doors open at 6 pm with free refreshments being served. FREE tickets available on Eventbrite.
Homelessness Action Week (HAW) Meeting
We are in the final stretch to making this year’s HAW the best one yet!
Our next planning meeting will be on Wednesday, October 2, 2019, from 9:00 to 10:30 at the Union Gospel Mission at 658 Clarkson Street in New Westminster.
This year HAW will feature:
- a Community Homelessness Awareness Walk in Uptown;
- a Community Thanksgiving Lunch at Union Gospel Mission;
- a Community Breakfast and service providers CONNECT DAY at Holy Trinity Cathedral;
- a Community Food Security Panel Discussion to recognize World Food Day at the River market;
- a Fundraising Dinner to support the important work the Coalition does in New West; and,
- a screening of US AND THEM an incredible film that follows the lives of 4 homeless individuals in Victoria over a 10 year period that provides deep insight into homelessness.
Check out our calendar for the details.
It is not too late to get involved!
Want to help, but can’t make the meeting? Contact Betina
Thank you to everyone who attended our tenth annual fundraiser. It was an action-packed evening. From the welcoming music of Blues Express, to the heartfelt notes of the New Westminster Community Choir, to the thoughtful remarks from our speakers Mayor Cote, professor Joseph Moore and I’s on the Street advocate Myke Germyn. Hope you got what you bid for at the silent auction!